- The collection system is often a vibratory conveyor (see at left) or sanitary belt conveyor that delivers the measured ingredients to a scale head, mixer, or cooker
- Volumetric or weighing devices feed ingredients onto the collection system
- Volumetric devices include metering units, augers, and electromagnetic conveyors
- Weighing devices include weigh belts or hoppers on load cells
- High value ingredients might warrant the precise measurement of weighing while lower value ingredients may only be able to justify using volumetric accuracy
- In some cases high value ingredients are not added to the blend until they reach the scale head immediately prior to packaging
Blending product can mean two things: creating the right proportion of ingredients for a recipe or mixing those ingredients amongst themselves. It is the former context we discuss here. A collection conveyor gathers ingredients proportioned onto it from multiple sources and delivers those ingredients to the next stage in the process.